Bangers and Mash Recipe
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with this Irish favorite, using ingredients you’ll only find at Westphalia Market!
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! 🍀
Celebrate today with a delicious Irish favorite – bangers and mash! Made with our signature sausages, mashed potatoes, and a hearty onion gravy, this dish will be sure to please your taste buds and warm your heart.
“Bangers and mash” (which you might know as sausage and mashed potatoes) gets its name because sausages used to “bang” (or burst) during cooking, and the “mash” refers to, you guessed it, mashed potatoes!
Come visit us at Westphalia Market and pick up everything you need to make your own bangers and mash at home! We have a wide selection of Westphalia Original sausages, including classic pork, beef, and more. And don’t forget to stock up on our fresh produce and other ingredients to make the perfect meal.
Cheers to a happy and delicious St. Patrick’s Day!
- 4 links Westphalia Market sausage
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 a stick unsalted butter (1/4 cup) for the potatoes
- 1 tbsp of butter for the onions
- 1 tbsp grain mustard
- 2 large white onions, diced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Cook sausages in a pan over medium-low heat until browned (about 5 minutes per side), then set aside in the preheated oven in an oven-safe covered dish to keep warm.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions. Stirring frequently, cook the onions until translucent and just beginning to brown (about 5 to 10 minutes). Next, add the beef broth and red wine and bring to a boil. Simmer until the liquid is reduced to about half its volume. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, while the broth reduces, add potatoes to a pot over medium heat and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender (this should take 10 to 15 minutes). Once the potatoes are tender, drain in a colander and return to pot. Add the 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) of butter, mustard, and salt and black pepper per your tastes. Mash the mixture until fluffy and all lumps are gone. Cover and set aside.
- Serve the sausages and mashed potatoes with a generous helping of the onion gravy over everything.
Westphalia Market in Hutto, TX
Westphalia Market in Lott, TX